Tuesday, June 10, 2014

March 8, 2012

Life is a series of individual moments strung together. Brilliance in prose requires that the author either perfectly recreate a single moment at a later time, or have the presence of mind to record the idea in its infancy. When I read the work of someone with this gift, I am shocked by the vulnerability required to bring emotion to life on a two dimensional page. I had planned to write my next entry about the philosophy of winning. In the wake of my first uncontested victory on the trails, I discovered how easily disenchanted a person can become with being number one. Winning, for me at least, is more about the quality of the battle. Since I have not been granted the gift of prose, however, I have a hard time recreating that moment of clarity to offer you. Perhaps more complete thoughts and questions about “the pursuit of winning” will appear in future entries, instead of two sentence summary.
Often, when I am running alone for several hours, I listen to audiobooks. Some of the books are insightful or educational, while others are merely an entertaining escape from the relentless chatter in my head. Most recently, I have been listening to the Inheritance Cycle series by Christopher Paolini. In one of the books, Eragon’s elfin mentor teaches him to recreate an image within a pane of glass. To accomplish the task, one must focus entirely on the mental image, down to the most intimate detail on a single blade of grass. Through magic, this passionate focus on something ordinary can yield extraordinary beauty. I believe that great writing comes from a similar place; a magical gift that connects the mind and soul on paper. The difference between average and great is often not the scope of the tragedies or life events, but the ability to transpose the ordinary in such a way that allows it to be extraordinary.
My sincere thanks to those who allow me to share moments with them, whether face-to-face or in written word, for you help me appreciate even ‘ordinary’ days.

No comments:

Post a Comment