Tuesday, June 10, 2014

November 15, 2011

Training for someday… I titled this blog several weeks ago after passing several “milestone” moments in life. I ran my first ultramarathon. I passed my last round of final exams. I made the transition to clinical rotations as a veterinary student. Yet, in the aftermath of all these goal completions, I felt no sigh of relief or more than a transient high at the pinnacle of the moment. In fact, in the hours before becoming the 10th female finisher at the 2011 Stump Jump 50K, I was already formulating a bigger goal. I not only want to run 100 miles, I want to qualify for and race in one of the most grueling 100 mile races in the world…the Hardrock 100.
Conflicting metaphors tell us to “shoot for the Moon and at least you’ll land among stars,” yet “stop and smell the roses” and “it’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.” Looking beyond the fact that the Moon is actually much closer than any star or that a lack of smell prevents me from appreciating roses as anything more than a pretty flower, it seems that that someday we’re all training for is both necessary for full enjoyment in life and our biggest roadblock to actually experiencing that fulfillment. We set a goal and live our lives around it. No sacrifice is too big as long as we are moving toward the goal. Is the goal itself actually worth those sacrifices? Adding complexity, how many of us are blessed with only one goal to work with? For the overwhelming populous, training for someday really involves a week of somedays…a family someday…a job someday…a vacationsomeday…and education someday…an athletic someday…and so on. How do we balance all of those goals with enjoying the irresponsible, not quite there yet, day to day rhythm of life?
I don’t know the answer.
What I do know is that I want to keep looking. I want to both sit in the flowers at the bottom of the mountain and climb (or run) to the top. Every day should be an adventure, great on its own, but better in combination with its predecessors and days to come on its way to that glorious someday…what’s your someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment